The Laurel County Clerk is the Chairman of the County Election Commission and is therefore responsible for all aspects of the electoral process.
This includes preparing ballot and voting machines, tabulating votes, certifying winners and keeping a permanent record of the results of all elections.
You are eligible to vote if:
- You are a Citizen of the United States
- You are 18 years of age (minors who become 18 on or before the day of the general election shall be entitled to vote in the primary if otherwise qualified).
- You are a Resident of the County for at least 28 days prior to the Election Date, and have properly registered. If you are eligible to vote, please download the Voter Registration Card and submit your completed Voter Registration Card to the clerk.
Voting by Absentee Machine
If you are going to be out of town on Election Day and you do not qualify for a paper ballot, you may vote on an absentee machine in the County Clerk’s office.
Voting by Absentee Paper Ballot
Voters unable to get to the polls on Election Day are eligible to vote by paper absentee ballot. You must meet one of the following requirements:
- Due to advanced age, disability, illness or medical emergency.
- You are a member of the Armed Forces.
- You are a dependent of a member of the Armed Forces.
- You are a student attending school outside the county of your voter registration.
- You temporarily reside outside the state, but are eligible to vote in Kentucky.
- You are incarcerated in jail and have been charged but not convicted of a crime.
- You may request an application for paper ballot in person, by mail, by phone or by fax.
- The application for absentee paper ballot must be completed and mailed to the County Clerk at least 7 days before the election.
- Once the Clerk receives the application, the paper ballot will be sent to the voter.
- The clerk must receive the paper ballot by mail only from the voter no later than the election day.
- For additional voting information please visit the Kentucky State Board of Elections website.